Dr Patrice Newell
Mobile 0417 231 822
PhD: A Strategic Assessment of the Potential for a New Pyrolysis Industry in the Hunter Valley, 2015 (University of Newcastle)
GAICD Graduate Australian Institute of Company Directors, 2008
1987 – present: Manager, Elmswood Farm. Producing beef, olive oil, honey, garlic.
The Olive Grove (Penguin 2000)
The River (Penguin 2003), a book analyzing the complicated issue of water reform.
Ten Thousand Acres – A Love Story (Lantern 2006) explores the importance of sustainable land management today.
Tree to Table – Cooking with Australian Olive Oil (Lantern 2008), describes what olive oil is, how to use it and compares its value with other industrial oils.
Regular keynote speaker at conferences
Some lectures include –
- 2016 Tasmanian Women in Agriculture Keynote
- 2015 Scone Writers Festival
- 2014 Upper Hunter Air Quality Committee
- 2013 UON Research lectures
- 2012 Biomass needs in the Hunter Valley, International Biochar Conference, Brazil.
- 2009 NSW National Parks Association Annual Lecture
- 2008 B&W Committee, Women of Achievement
- 2008 July: The Karrakatta Club and the Institute of Advanced Studies at UWA Lecture, Perth. Australian Farming, does it have a future? And does it matter?
- 2007 Climate Change Conference. Bathurst, The Politics of Climate Change
- 2007 October: Australasian Society for Growing Australian Plants. Gums to Gullies: Flora in Transition Conference. Newcastle. Lecture Native Plants and Climate Change.
- 2006 August: Hunter Valley Research Foundation Annual Lecture, Newcastle: Creating Community through Conflict. How environmental issues can bring town and country together.
- 2004 October: International Stream Watch Conference, Tasmania. Keynote Address. The Future of our River Systems.
A brief work history
- In 1978-79 – Studied history and political science at UNSW.
- In 1980-81 – Worked in New York and Chicago as a model.
- 1982 -83 – Television reporter at the Seven Network.
- 1984 – Newsreader and reporter SBS News.
- 1985 – Anchored the current affairs program Midweek on SBS.
- 1986 – Co anchored TCN 9 Today Show.
- 1996-1998 – Member Scone Council’s Rural Lands Development Committee.
- 1996-2002 – Committee Member, Hunter Valley Olive Association.
- 1999-2001 – Member Scone Council’s Agenda 21 Committee.
- 1997-2014 – President and Secretary, Pages River and Tributaries Water Users’ Group.
- 2006-2014 – Secretary Gundy Rural Fire Bridage
- 2006-2010 – President Upper Hunter Waterkeepers’ Alliance.
- 2006, 2007, 2008 – President Scone High School P&C.
- 2008-2014 – Member of NSW Upper Hunter Air Quality Network
- 2007+ – Editorial Board of G Magazine
- 2008+ – Editorial Board Clean Food
- 2008-2013 – Columnist for Notebook Magazine.
Active Memberships include
- Australian Soil Scientists Association
- International Biochar Association
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Australian Olive Association
- Hunter Olive Association
- Australian Garlic Association
- NSW Beekeepers Association
- CWA (Scone Branch)
- NSW Writers Guild
2002 – Patrice was the subject of an AUSTRALIAN STORY on ABC.