Dr Patrice Newell
PhD: A Strategic Assessment of the Potential for a New Pyrolysis Industry in the Hunter Valley, 2015 (University of Newcastle)
Conjoint Fellow: Tom Farrell Institute for the Environment,
University of Newcastle
Manager: Elmswood Farm. Producing beef, olive oil, honey, garlic.
GAICD: Graduate Australian Institute of Company Directors, 2008
The Olive Grove (Penguin 2000)
The River (Penguin 2003)
Ten Thousand Acres – A Love Story (Lantern 2006)
Tree to Table – Cooking with Australian Olive Oil (Lantern 2008)
- 2016 Tasmanian Women in Agriculture Keynote
- 2015 Scone Writers Festival
- 2012 Biomass needs in the Hunter Valley, International Biochar Conference, Brazil.
- 2009 NSW National Parks Association Annual Lecture
- 2008 B&W Committee, Women of Achievement
- 2008 The Karrakatta Club and the Institute of Advanced Studies at UWA Lecture, Perth. Australian Farming, does it have a future? And does it matter?
- 2007 Climate Change Conference. Bathurst, The Politics of Climate Change
- 2007 Australasian Society for Growing Australian Plants. Gums to Gullies: Flora in Transition Conference. Newcastle. Lecture Native Plants and Climate Change.
- 2006 Hunter Valley Research Foundation Annual Lecture, Newcastle: Creating Community through Conflict. How environmental issues can bring town and country together.
- 2004 International Stream Watch Conference, Tasmania. Keynote Address. The Future of our River Systems.
Brief work history:
- In 1978-79 – Studied history and political science at UNSW
- In 1980-81 – Model, New York, Chicago
- 1982 -83 – Television reporter, Seven Network
- 1984-85 – Newsreader and reporter, SBS News
- 1985 – Anchor current affairs program Midweek, SBS
- 1986 – Co-anchor TCN 9, Today Show
- 1996-1998 – Member, Scone Council Rural Lands Development Committee
- 1996-2002 – Committee Member, Hunter Olive Association
- 1999-2001 – Member Scone Council’s Agenda 21 Committee
- 1997-2014 – President and Secretary, Pages River and Tributaries Water Users’ Group
- 2006+ – Secretary, Gundy Rural Fire Brigade
- 2006-2010 – President/Member, Upper Hunter Waterkeepers’ Alliance
- 2006-2008 President, Scone High School P&C.
- 2008-2014 – Member, NSW Upper Hunter Air Quality Network
- 2007-2015 – Editorial Board of G Magazine
- 2008-2013 – Editorial Board Clean Food
- 2008-2013 – Columnist for Notebook Magazine
- 2016+ President, Hunter Olive Association
- 2017+ Member, Upper Hunter Shire Sustainability Committee
Active Memberships include:
- Australian Soil Scientists Association
- International Biochar Association
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Australian Olive Association
- Hunter Olive Association
- Australian Garlic Association
- NSW Beekeepers Association
- CWA (Scone Branch)
- NSW Writers Guild
2002 – Patrice was the subject of an AUSTRALIAN STORY on ABC.